Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Passion


So, it’s been almost an entire year since I’ve last written. It’s one in the morning, I can’t sleep, and maybe some of these thoughts floating around in my head might be worth putting out into the world…

I’ve been thinking a lot lately about Passion. In looking up the definition of the word, I came across its origin…

1125–75; ME (< class="ital-inline">passiōn- (s. of passiō ) Christ's sufferings on the cross, any of the Biblical accounts of these (> late OE passiōn ), special use of LL passiō suffering, submission, deriv. of L passus, ptp. of patī to suffer, submit; see -ion.

How incredible?!

What I’ve come to believe is that God created each one of us to be passionate about something, meaning that there is something on this earth that we were MADE for. There is something that when the sheer thought of it makes it way to our minds, makes our hearts go wild.

How often do people go through life without ever having a moment where they can stand before some thing and know, without a shadow of a doubt, that God engraved this thing deep into their hearts, long before they were born? How tragic to miss it.

What an incredible honor and privilege it is that the maker and sustainer of the universe would let us in on the miraculous things he is doing. Even more so, how silly it is that He would use us in all of our brokenness to make beautiful things happen for his Kingdom?

Look back at the origin of the word Passion. Christ’s sufferings on the cross. Sufferings? This means that our Passion is going to cost us something. Perhaps it is our comfort, our security, or even our very lives. However, I think it is safe to say, that the pursuer of the passion would say that the costs to him are nothing compared to the JOY that comes from standing face to face with his passion…to realize his part in this thing that he was created for.

Please believe that you were created to do BIG, BEAUTIFUL, CRAZY things in this world. The very same power that raised Christ from the dead is in you.

"You make beautiful things out of the dust. You make beautiful things out of us."

2 comments:

  1. Kaci,
    Love is not always connected to passion. That's why we don not need to feel passion for anything at the same time we do love this thing.
    I really know the ability the human being has to love and to suffer, and, I really know that we do prefer to suffer than love. This our nature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is what we were talking about in Minnesota! I have been dwelling on this a lot lately too and having conversations about it with people. Love it and you

    ReplyDelete